P64412450Regular price $32.95
Sauerbraten is a traditional German roast of heavily marinated meat. It is regarded as a national dish of Germany.
Barth's marinates this perfect cut of beef round for you so that all you have to do is put it in the pan add red wine and onion for a wonderful meal. Serve with red cabbage and spaetzle.
With just three butcher shops and a cart, Otto Barth launched a bustling business in Geislingen, Germany. In 1940, alongside escalating world tensions and the rising Nazi regime in Germany, Otto packed up his family in search of freedom and opportunity in the United States. After settling in Irvington, NJ, Otto opened the original "Barth's Pork Store” which soon became a renowned destination for premium sausages, steaks, chops and poultry. After years of success, the store moved to New Providence, New Jersey in 1960, where the renowned “Barth’s Market” continues its legacy under third-generation owner Jim Barth and his son Max.
Sauerbraten:Marinade = 1 Qt Cider Vinegar, 1 pint water, (4 oz Salt or 1 hand full), (4 oz brown sugar or 1 hand full) and mix well.
½ Pint Burgundy wine
½ Sleeve Ginger Snap Cookies
- Slice and Sautee onion w/ butter in skillet till transparent and place into pot
- Take Roast rub with flour Brown in skillet then place into pot
- Add Marinade and Burgundy wine into pot.
- Simmer Low for 11/2 hours to 140 degrees internal temperature of the roast.
- Remove Roast from Pot.
- Take Ginger Snap cookies and put into a food processor and make into a fine power.
- Slowly add the ginger snap cookies to the pot constantly stirring until reaching desired gravy thickness. Note low flame only or no flame at all while mixing ginger snaps, it’s very easy to burn the gravy with the sediment of the powdered ginger snap cookies.
- Taste the gravy (if it’s too tart add brown sugar to taste)
- Slice the Roast and place into pot with the gravy.
- Reheat & Serve
Net Weight: Approximately 1.5 - 2 pounds
Country of Origin: USA