In 1894, the confectioner Schwermer Henry, who had previously taught at the legendary Café Kranzler in Berlin, formed the company in Königsberg, East Prussia. It soon became a popular meeting place for an aspiring coffee house operation Confiserie specializing in the production of Koenigsberg Marzipan, very fine chocolates and especially cake. For his exquisite and delicate wafer-cake-creations Henry Schwermer received a gold metal at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900.
After the death of the founder in 1918, his daughter, Charlotte Stiel, took over the flourishing company. During World War II Schwermer was forced out of Konigsberg and re-established itself in Bad Woerishofen . When premises became too small in 1968 under the leadership of her son, Dietrich Stiel, the new facility was formed and grew to its present size of 15,000 square meters. Schwermer today employs about 100 people in the manufacturing of their sweet treats, which are now exported to more than 25 countries.
The great-grandson of company founder, Peter Stiel, has now been adopted in the management of the fourth generation family business. The exquisite delicacies of the company Schwermer are available in stores, in the upscale food retail markets, and in the confectionery departments of selected department stores.
Truly a "high-pleasure": Even the universe has experienced Schwermer Pralines. In 1992, Schwermer Pralines were with the German air force pilot, Klaus-Dieter Flade on board the Russian spaceship MIR and in 1993 on board the U.S. Space Shuttle Columbia, together with the German physicist Hans Wilhelm Schlegel and Ulrich Walter.